Thursday, February 9, 2012

Orijen 6 Fish & Lamb & Acana Okanagan Apple AND Fish oil Supplement!

Acana Okanagan Apple is finally in Texas!
We have been reading about Acana Okanagan Apple since last year, the ingredient list fitted what we wanted for TOto but one of the originial ingredient is not approved in USA. And after repackaging, it is finally here. We have to go out of our usual route to get them.
COMPOSITION Dehydrated lamb (27%), deboned lamb (15%), steel-cut oats, peas, whole apples (10%), whole potato, sunflower oil, oat flakes, lamb liver (3%), sun-cured alfalfa, whole pears, algae meal (source of DHA, EPA), pea fiber, sweet potato, pumpkin, butternut squash, parsnips, carrots, spinach, cranberries, blueberries, kelp, chicory root, juniper berries, angelica root, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, lavender, rosemary, plus premium vitamins and minerals.

ANALTICAL CONSTITUENTS Crude protein (min.) 25 %
Now he is on 50-50 mix of both kibbles.
Unlike the other grain-based kibbles;  Acana Okanagan Apple aren't as grainy. It is almost as compact as Orijen 6 fish and smaller in size too which will be perfect for smaller dogs. TOto is a lazy dog, he prefer smallers kibbles or biscuits. He will refused biscuit that are too big, and I have to break them to smaller pieces for him.
Left : Orijen 6 fish, Right :  Acana Okanagan Apple
As compared,  Orijen 6 fish kibbles has a smoother surface.

We topped TOto's kibbles with Stella and Chewy; 'All-natural frozen and freeze-dried raw pet food' for dogs. THIS is very expensive, so we use them sparingly, hahaha!

Nancy Cultured low fat Cottage Cheese is a STAPLE.
This helps with his tummy and gives TOto firm firm poop with its LIVE CULTURE!
Recently TOto has been waking up in the middle of the night @4am, and scratching himself relentlessly. We really do not know what to do and we took a risk and give him ONE Fish Oil Capsule every dinner. 
And the effect is very obvious, by the 2nd night he stops waking up and scratching himself. 

Even Hubs can see the result and was really amazed.
And we are lucky this is on discount at GNC, only USD9.99 for 360 capsule!
So this is TOto's dinner
One very OBVIOUS reaction from TOto that he loves Acana Okanagan Apple, he didn't pick out his Wellness Simple kibbles and place them on the floor. He has this bad habit of picking out a few Wellness Simple kibbles when he starts his dinner, so weird.

Now he just gobbles everything down.
TOto
mum-mum lor ~

8 comments:

  1. Acana's ingredients sound good :) Haha you would think the 6 fish Orijen would negate the use of additional fish oil! Glad to hear that he is no longer scratching! Just careful to give it probably max 4x a week (or will unbalance the O3:O6 ratio) since he is only a small dog~

    Perhaps a soothing oatmeal shampoo or nourishing conditioner might help too? Cuz winter easy to get dry skin..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Eve, At first I was thinking what 03:06 u talking about but you made me go read up, thanks! Luckily the cheapo discounted vits I gotten are Omega3 if not my effort will be wasted! So far, the Fish oil Omegal 3 fatty acids (including DHA/EPA) only 300mg. So it is not that 1000 written on the bottle front! I read somewhere, Vit E is needed to help them process the Fatty acids? Really need or not? But the effects of the oil really show very fast!

      He has Oatmeal shampoo but we don't use conditioner on him. Maybe I should find one for him but we don't usually shampoo him unless he gets VERY SMELLY! So usually we just rinse him with water and dry him ... Shampoo maybe twice a month. If he scratch some more, I think my husband will disallow me to use the heater liao haha ...

      Delete
    2. Yup, fish oil is mainly O3 - salmon will have both O3 and O6. The problem with GNC's fish oil is that it contains soy, which is Vitamin E, so you probably don't have to add anymore (check the ingredients). Salmon oil from GNC is farmed not wild. Yea usually it will only be 300mg.

      Same here, about once every two weeks they have to have a bath. Gosh the weather here rain then hot rain then hot everywhere is muddy!!! Well itchy can be cuz of dry skin or allergies. If it's just a recent thing and you've introduced a new food recently I'd be cautious...

      Delete
    3. Woah you really know ur stuffs!! I cannot read too much, maybe got attention deficit disorder; cannot digest! But really appreciate all the information. Ya one of the ingredient listed is Vit E, but they did not state the dosage. And I read somewhere they use Vit E as a preservative? Just wondering is it enough ...

      Ya I wonder if TOto goes back SG how, plus the humid weather sure make him very smelly!

      Oh the food change is after the scratch incident so no worries there, I guess he sleeps infront of the heater TOO MUCH! Even my own hand is chapping like mad, so painful! But he is so much better now ...

      Delete
  2. If he does start to pick out his kibble and you are going to top it off with cottage cheese anyway, you could try mixing it all together!

    I'm not sure about giving a Human dietary supplement to a dog though. It would probably be a good idea to look up the recommended dosage for dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mix them but my Hub mixed it up for him. You can still see him spit out 1 or 2 kibbles by the side but in the end he will stil eat them all up! It is just a odd habit, hahaha. We don't understand why!

      I always have this idea, Human's food or supplementary will always be better than the 'pet' products. And Human's are so much cheaper although they are the same. But no fear, I have surf around abit and dogs can have Human fish oil. :) Fish oil is not toxic to dogs so I am not as worried. But I am more fearful of Garlic. But cross finger, so far so good.

      Delete
    2. Hmm I don't know if it's just me, but your comment is getting cut off at the right side. The Live Traffic Feed is covering it so I can't read some of the words. I guess your comments are crossing into the side bar?

      Delete
  3. Stupid layout from blogger.
    I tried to make the width wider but it doesn't help. This 'Reply' is a new function from Blogger. I try to see whether what other things i can do.

    "I don't mix them but my Hub mixed it up for him. You can still see him spit out 1 or 2 kibbles by the side but in the end he will stil eat them all up! It is just a odd habit, hahaha. We don't understand why!

    I always have this idea, Human's food or supplementary will always be better than the 'pet' products. And Human's are so much cheaper although they are the same. But no fear, I have surf around abit and dogs can have Human fish oil. :) Fish oil is not toxic to dogs so I am not as worried. But I am more fearful of Garlic. But cross finger, so far so good."

    ReplyDelete